Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mining and NL Lakes

What struck me most when I started hearing about this a while ago was how absurd it seemed. You see, Environment Canada has the ability to rename lakes and bodies of water as waste facilities. At first I though this seemed a little crazy -- when I hear the word facility I think of a building of some sort. You know, something that has an element of man-made-ness to it. Wilderness is not what you have in mind. 

What's even more disturbing is that this change in classification is done through Environment Canada, who are apparently abandoning normal bureaucratic procedures to speed up the lakes' destruction. Then, after the destruction of the lake, they plan on building a new one!

It's shocking that finding less disastrous, if more costly options are not chosen for mining. In NL there's a tradition of selling ourselves short development projects, looks like this might be the next on a long list.  The shareholders must be happy...

1 comment:

Abby said...

Hi there,

Thanks for the note. I am interested in more information, staying in the loop, and posting further on this issue. As a biologist, it angers me. As a Canadian, it drives me insane. And as a human being, it leaves me at a loss.

I can be reached at ponddrop@gmail.com, through this blog, my travel blog (abbywanders.blogspot.com) and my music website (www.myspace.com/abbypond, soon to be www.abbypond.com)

thanks!

Abby